Job Creation and Labor Training Discussed at Guam Jobs Forum

Labor, banking, local government and development officials joined representatives from USDA in Guam last month for a jobs forum, one of a number scheduled across America.  The Obama Administration, through USDA Rural Development and Farm Service Agency staff, is seeking comments from Americans in all walks of life, including small business owners and local leaders following a jobs summit at the White House in December.

Federal, state and local officials at the Guam Jobs Forum Those participating noted that Guam’s economy is separate from the United States, and closely tied to Japan’sas well as to other Asian markets.  Transportation costs are high.  For example, the island of Rota is just 18 miles from Guam, but those speaking said the cost of shipping between the islands is the same as the cost of shipping from California to Guam.

Officials were told that Guam needs a supply of skilled labor and more training opportunities. On the plus side, military activity and service businesses, like restaurants, are economic drivers. Topics that were discussed to boost the economy include promoting a “buy local” movement, developing agricultural products for local residents to buy and eat, improving inter-island infrastructure and becoming a regional educational and business hub.

The comments received at the meeting, and those posted on the USDA blog, will be provided to USDA and White House officials for review.  USDA officials in Hawaii conducted a jobs meeting yesterday (Wednesday) and another is set for tomorrow (Friday).

For a list of scheduled jobs meetings by state or to learn more, go to the Rural Development and FSA Job Roundtables Schedule, and the News Release, “USDA to Host Roundtables on Jobs, Economic Growth”.

14 Responses to “Job Creation and Labor Training Discussed at Guam Jobs Forum”

1. gatsby says:

I really liked reading your article. It’s very insightful and unique. Your points are well presented and easy to understand. Thanks for your quality content.

2. seo says:

Thank you for your useful informative article. I feel I’ve come away a little smarter and more open-minded by reading your article. I am saving your article to my favorites to show to my family.

3. Dr Seradge says:

Many times the articles I find are so difficult to understand, it seems I need a college degree just to understand the writer. Thanks for making the information on your page so easy to understand.

4. Mobile Phone Accessories says:

There’s nothing better than a great brain-stimulating article. That’s just exactly what you have here. I can hear my gears creaking. I concur with this material. This is a very well-written quality article. Thank you.

5. tools direct says:

This article alone shows your talent and skill at writing on this topic. I am very impressed and I sincerely hope you plan on continuing with these. I’ll return soon.

6. Acer Mobiles says:

I really appreciate interesting articles like yours. This is very good content. Your points are represented with original writing and your content is well-written. Information like this is good to have for readers. Thank you.

7. Cool Thoughts says:

Thank you for influencing so many readers with your great information. Your article has sparked a lot of thought for me. I share your views.

8. wife go to swap party says:

I think your article is a real winner. Your content is informative without being boring and clearly stated. I think you’re ideas are right on.

9. e cigarette 2012 says:

My personal opinion on this article is that it’s engaging. Yes, the information is clear and interesting, but this writer really knows how to draw the reader in and incite thought. I like this content.

10. premium electronic cigarette says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. Ill definitely be back.

11. Jimmy Thakkar says:

Putting emphasis on rural development is a must.

This should be done in INDIA also.

Regards,
    Jimmy Thakkar

12. Jason says:

Rural development is important, and i think governments should put a little more emphasis into this region. Without rural, cities wouldn’t survive, as we depend on their agriculture.

Jason

13. George says:

Rural Development = National Development. That should be done whole the world.

Regards,