It Gets Better

If you have ever been bullied, Secretary Vilsack wants you to know that it gets better.

The “It Gets Better” project is a website that aims to inspire hope for young people facing harassment because they are gay or perceived to be gay.  With over 15 million views the website encourages people to submit videos to show LGBT youth that despite the bullying, it does indeed get better.  Secretary Vilsack recently joined the movement and submitted his own video because he wants LGBT youth – especially youth in small-town and rural America – to know that they are never alone.

I hope that you take a moment to watch the Secretary’s video submission to the “It Gets Better” project. It’s important for LGBT youth of rural America, as well as their family members and friends to know that there are resources available and folks willing to help.

Thank you so much, and I hope that you too will take a stand to stop bullying in your community.

8 Responses to “It Gets Better”

1. Anastasia Bodnar says:

Secretary Vilsack, thank you so much for doing this. The USDA has real reach into rural and small town America so it means a lot to have guidance from the top that bullying of LGBT youths is not to be tolerated. Here’s hoping that the message gets to every extension agent and from there out to the people they work with.

2. Blake Velde says:

Thank you Sec. Vilsack for standing up for LGBT youth.
    Blake Velde,
    Acting President, USDA GLOBE

3. Bambi says:

I watched the Secretary’s video submission to the “It Gets Better” project this evening — and I couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride. In harmony with hundreds of voices speaking against the incomprehensible intolerance that led to the heartbreaking suicides of Justin Aaberg, Billy Lucas, Cody Barker, Asher Brown, Seth Walsh, Raymond Chase, and Tyler Clementi; Secretary Vilsack took the pledge. Speaking on behalf of one of the federal government’s largest employers, he assured our LGBT and questioning youth that bullying is never alright, you are never alone, and we do care!

It WILL get better!

We pledge to spread the message and speak up against hate and intolerance wherever we see it!

4. William Aley says:

Thank you sir, yet another great moment. I look forward to adding this to our PRIDE Montage for this year. Thanks for being there with a message of hope, Our future USDA employees may see this and remember the message they heard as a teen. Thanks again, I appriciate the message personnaly.

5. Michael Hornyak says:

Secretary Vilsack, please accept my heartfelt thanks for your “It Gets Better” video. I am a 32-year USDA employee who has had the privelege to work for a Department that values ALL of its employees, regardless of their sex, race, culture or sexual orientation, and I know personally how important it is to let GLBT youth know that it does indeed get better. When my parents learned I was gay at 16, I was kicked out of the house and my father said he would rather see me dead than gay. Messages like yours will help youths going through what I experienced know that they are important and valuable, and that life is definitely worth living.

6. Claudia Ferguson says:

Your continued support to the LGBT community is very much appreciated and demostrates your sincere committment to improve quality of life for all. Thanks very much.

7. Sharon Nance says:

Thank you for your heartfelt statement. This is a message that speaks to the very souls of our communities…our youth. Thanks for caring and thanks for speaking out.

8. Susan Norman says:

Your leadership is inspiring. I am proud to be a part of the USDA, and proud of you as a leader.