For MyPlate’s 2nd birthday on June 2, 2013, USDA is using the power of social media to throw a month- long virtual party. Everyone is invited to participate and help celebrate the success of USDA’s MyPlate on the new MyPlate Facebook page. Log on to www.facebook.com/myplate from June 2 through the end of the month and wish MyPlate a healthy Happy Birthday!
MyPlate’s birthday wish is to increase its Facebook fan base so that even more people can learn about MyPlate and healthy eating. The MyPlate Facebook page will have a new birthday cover photo and birthday related posts all week long. Fans, partners, and other federal agencies are also being encouraged to use blogs, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram to help celebrate this happy milestone. The event hashtag is #MyPlateBirthday.
MyPlate has much to celebrate on its 2nd Anniversary. Highlighted below are some key accomplishments from year 2:
- Along with Let’s Move! and the Partnership for a Healthier America, USDA’s MyPlate is offering healthy cooking inspiration through the MyPlate Recipes Pinterest project that was launched by First Lady Michelle Obama, in February 2013.
- MyPlate launched a Facebook page on March 13, 2013, offering tips to eat better and move more. Make sure to like MyPlate on Facebook!
- USDA’s Team Nutrition released new MyPlate resources. Check out the Serving Up MyPlate classroom curriculum for grades 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6.
- Now kids have a healthy place of their own to hang out at ChooseMyPlate.gov/kids. The MyPlate Kids’ Place offers interactive games, songs, and activities for children.
- MyPlate is now helping to inspire college students to eat healthier through the MyPlate On Campus initiative and the MyPlate On Campus Ambassador program.
So, there’s a lot to celebrate because it’s been an eventful year as the MyPlate icon and the messages and resources supporting it get amplified to reach people of all ages with helpful how-tos for nutritious eating and active lifestyles.