You’re invited to the USDA Harvest Festival on Friday, November 22 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Come celebrate the end of the growing season in the People’s Garden and at the USDA Farmers Market. Take advantage of the last opportunity of the year to shop the outdoor USDA Farmers Market located along 12th Street, SW in between Jefferson Drive and Independence Avenue in Washington, DC.
The day will be filled with fun activities and educational demonstrations that are free and fun for the whole family. Here’s a list of the planned events:
- Pickle garden harvest with Gordy’s Pickle Jar from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- As Thanksgiving approaches, cooking the traditional turkey dinner gives rise to anxieties and questions. Get tips to ensure a delicious and safe holiday meal with USDA-Food Safety and Inspection Service.
- Meet a potbelly pig, sheep, goats and other farm animals.
- Become fascinated with mushrooms thanks to The American Mushroom Institute, Phillips Mushroom Farms and Penn State Extension. See how specialty mushrooms grow into ready to eat fungi.
- Grind a great crop of corn grown in the USDA People’s Garden with USDA-Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration.
- Hear the story of cotton and practice spinning it.
- Listen to Music by Laissez Foure, a swingin’ jazz quartet.
- Attention gardeners and hobby beekeepers! Watch honey bees at work in a glass-walled observation hive from USDA-Agricultural Research Service, taste honey from the People’s Garden Apiary, and learn how honey is used in soap making.
- Participate in building this hoop house and get advice on how to extend the growing season in your garden.
- And much more.
We hope to see you this Friday for the last #USDAFridays of the 2013 growing season!