MyPlate Holiday Leftovers – MyPlate Holiday Makeover Week 4

Eve’s Tasty Turkey Tetrazzini

Eve’s Tasty Turkey Tetrazzini

The MyPlate Team continues to share “Makeover Monday” recipes each week on the USDA blog and the MyPlate Facebook page through January 6th.

Our family loves the savory flavors of traditional holiday meals. However, after a few rounds of leftovers, it’s great to be able to mix things up with a new twist on the leftover turkey. It’s an added bonus that after all the hustle and bustle, this recipe is an easy, one-dish meal that the whole family will enjoy.

My original Turkey Tetrazzini recipe created a creamy pasta dish that was made with plenty of butter and half-and-half. This updated recipe is proof that with simple modifications, you can make a healthier version of your favorite family recipes.  In this recipe, I’ve used reduced-sodium chicken broth instead of regular chicken broth, low-fat milk instead of half-and-half, light butter instead of regular butter, and whole-wheat pasta instead of plain pasta. I’ve also added frozen peas. Not only do the peas add vegetables, but they also add color to this creamy dish.

This updated version has fewer calories, a third of the solid fat, half the sodium, and more vegetables and whole grains than the original version without sacrificing any of the flavor or texture. In fact, our family prefers this lighter version over the original. While this recipe calls for turkey, you can also make this dish with chicken.

Eve’s Tasty Turkey Tetrazzini has become a tradition in our household, and I hope it becomes one in yours as well. Happy holidays!

Eve’s Tasty Turkey Tetrazzini recipe

Eve’s Tasty Turkey Tetrazzini recipe

8 Responses to “MyPlate Holiday Leftovers – MyPlate Holiday Makeover Week 4”

1. Sylvia says:

The picture is so elegant. I think I’ll try this…there should be enough leftovers from our Christmas Eve dinner.

2. Milli Horton says:

This looks delicious (Eve’s Tasty Turkey Tetrazinni), but the recipe doesn’t state the portion size. If I were to increase the recipe to serve, say a hundred kids, I need to know what the portion size is, to be able to make certain, they receive what the nutritional analysis credits for grains, protein, and vegetables.

Thank you!
    Milli

3. sameera says:

yamee i like it

4. Anne says:

Looks good. I have not developed a taste for the whole wheat pasta as much as I’ve tried.

5. Golda says:

To Anne who does not care for whole wheat pasta.
    Try the “whole grain” pasta in the yello boxes made by the Italian sounding company who packages refined “white” pasta in dark blue boxes. Light texture, great tast, lots of fiber from lentil flour.

6. Scarlett Sampsell, RD, CD/N says:

My family and I find whole-wheat pasta very tough, so I do not recommend it to my private or hospital patients. Instead I recommend whole grain pasta which still has dietary fiber, but is a much more acceptable product texture & taste wise. Unique recipe, which is helpful for those on special diets. Thank you for a new twista traditional recipe! Happy Holidays!

7. Diana says:

Try rice pasta. It is gluten free and cooks up nicely without the too al dente bite of whole wheat.

8. Karen says:

The recipe does not instruct when to add the 4 cups cooked turkey…the integral part, lol.