This week at Ag Outlook, Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Krysta Harden will host a discussion on the challenges and opportunities facing women in agriculture. Women represent part of a diverse population that has a growing interest in the future of agriculture, but young people, veterans, socially-disadvantaged producers and retirees also have a stake in that future.
On Monday, February 24th at 3 p.m. eastern, Deputy Secretary Harden will host a Google+ Hangout to share some highlights from Ag Outlook and discuss how USDA is working with the next generation of farmers and ranchers to provide them with the tools necessary to succeed.
During this hangout, participants will hear from panelists who represent some of the key demographics that make up the future of agriculture. The Hangout will include YOUR questions and comments.
Leading the Discussion:
- Deputy Secretary Krysta Harden
- Kate Danner, Corn and Soybean Farmer, Aledo, Ill.
- Alejandro Tecum, Alejandro Mujeres, Forest Grove, OR
Participate in the Hangout on Monday by watching it live on the USDA Google+ page or on www.usda.gov/live. You can send questions in advance or share your story on social media by using the #NewFarmers on Twitter, Google+, YouTube or Facebook.
Sample questions include:
- What tools does USDA offer new and beginning farmers?
- As a new farmer, what are some of the challenges I can expect in my first year?
- As a farmer, what advice can you offer for those just getting started in the field?