Spot the Purple Trap for EAB Awareness Week May 20-26

Look for purple traps like this one during EAB Awareness Week.

Look for purple traps like this one during EAB Awareness Week.

This is Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Awareness Week.  Before the Memorial Day holiday and summer travel season begin, we take this time to remind everyone to be careful not to spread the EAB unintentionally.

EAB is one of many “Hungry Pests” that can cause significant damage to our country’s natural resources.  Since first being identified in 2002, EAB is responsible for the destruction of tens of millions of ash trees in 15 states in the Midwest and Northeast.

We use purple traps like the one shown in this photo to help us look for EAB.  Traps are placed in 47 states.  Have you seen any in your neighborhood or travels?  If you see one, join our “Spot the Purple Trap” team.  It’s simple:

• “Like” the Hungry Pests Facebook page
  • Snap photos of any purple traps you see and post them on Facebook, along with the city/state where you saw them

We also want to ask for your help in keeping EAB from spreading.  Some simple steps you can take:

• Don’t move firewood. EAB larvae can survive hidden in the bark of firewood. Remember: buy local, burn local.
  • Inspect your trees. If you see any sign or symptom of an EAB infestation, contact your State Plant Health Director or State agriculture agency.

For more information about EAB, visit the Stop the Beetle website or the Hungry  Pests website.

60 Responses to “Spot the Purple Trap for EAB Awareness Week May 20-26”

1. Rod King says:

I saw 2 boxes. One on Willow Grove Hwy. in Allons,TN and one on Rolling Hills Dr. in Cookeville, TN

2. James Blackstock says:

I can connect in the link for the FB page…would love to play along, I have seen more than 50 of those boxes!

3. Ann Worden says:

I saw boxes hanging in trees all the was north from Lake George on Interstate 87. I also just saw one in Morris County NJ

4. Mike Comet says:

Spotted my first trap here in Lewis County (upstate NY, east of Lake Ontario) this morning on the way to teach about invasive species (oddly enough) in my biology classes today! Perfect timing. Many EAB warning signs in the area now as well. Evidently the threat is moving inland from coastal Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence this summer.

5. Allen James says:

Spotted one on Papermill Rd. Just before Phoenix Rd. maryland. I’ve seen others but never knew what they were.
    6/5/2012

6. Ginny Chucka says:

There a box on Oak Street in Oakland N.J. above the train tressel..Would have never guess it was to kill the Emerald beetle….

7. T-TV says:

On the way up to Jones Gap State Park in Upstate SC, we spotted strange triangular purple boxes. Curiosity was peaked, and my friend actually touched the sticky surface. Lots of different bugs stuck on the purple surface. Do the insects like purple? What kind of lure is used? Now I am aware of the EAB threat. Great campaign!

8. Teresa says:

Saw one in Fort Rigley State Park/MN!

9. Joe says:

Spotted 3-4 in Spotsylvania,VA and 1 in Woodbridge, VA. Finally googled what they were. Very interesting approach to lure EAB and study them.

10. Andrew says:

What is in those? I live in Ottawa Ontario and I have not seen any of those in any ash tree. Nobody seems to be doing anything about them here in Ottawa. They just seem to be living with the EAB’s. What can I do to help…….

11. Andrew says:

Due to Quebec and Ontario banning insecticides we have had an explosion in bug activity, Japanese beetles, ash borers, slugs, earwigs, and every other kind of pest. The government is making us really upset over all this. Try to keep a garden healthy here, because we can not spray these pets just eat the hole garden. I spend alot of money on my garden every year more then $1000 per year on plants, mulch, soil, and fertilizer. “Then along comes a beetle and eats all of my money away”.

12. Carolyn Foran says:

Saw one on Rt. 633 (Vogel Rd) in Cumberland. Always wondered why it was there. This is the first yr. they have been in our county. Why isn’t there more info. to the public about this bug.

13. Bill says:

OMG! Why are we wasting tax dollars on this?!?! For hundreds of millions of years bugs have been killing trees. New ones grow to replace them. I like trees as much as anyone else but we should NOT borrow from our children to fund this.

14. Chris says:

Couple purple traps hear in prospect Ct. And ash borers as well.

15. Mary says:

Saw several of them on Rte 111A in Brentwood NH this afternoon. Had to come home and google it to learn more. Now I know what an Emerald Ash Borer is. AND…that the purple things I saw in the trees were not footstools. lol.

16. Bette Lines says:

I saw one on Iconium Road in Woodbury, TN and one on Ivy Bluff Trail in Morrison,TN.

17. Larry Fries says:

Bill needs to understand the value of trees. Ever hear of Dutch Elm Disease, or seen what the bark beetle has done to Colorados rocky mountain range? Ask Japan the value of trees since they now have to import most of their lumber because of their wasteful habits decades ago. The government can spend money wisely if we tell them we’re watching and demand positive results

18. keith says:

Keith says that im a logger in ma.&CT. I HATE TO SEE IT COMING BUT ITS HERE ! BEST THING TO DO IS TO MANAGE OUR FORESTS BEFORE WE LOSE THEM.

19. ebner says:

yeah thats a good idea

20. dante says:

just leave the ash borers be and take 200 sample seeds of all ash trees and put them in a safe or some pest free place after the ash borers are gone replant the ash trees

21. Jan says:

I live in a quarantined area, Platte Co, Mo. I have not seen any boxes in the area, but I’ve begun to treat the trees on my property, thanks to the efforts of people like you…trying to get the word out…Thanks!

22. Eric says:

Saw one in Callison, SC, a small community in the upstate. My 12 year old son and I were intrigued enough to stop and have a look.

23. Marie Wester says:

There is one on Knox Campground Trail in Canton Ga. I had to stop and see what it was.

24. Stacy says:

Saw one yesterday on Hwy 140 and another on Hickory Road in Canton GA

25. Trent says:

I jus saw one the other day goin down the hwy

26. Tammy Perry says:

I have seen two now in Palmersville, TN!

27. Joy Bell says:

One in Montgomery County TN (Clarksville) on 41A South. Actually our 2nd driveway entrance. Lovely tree and pray it lives long. Will watch for EABs and notify local agriculture department if any activity.

28. Jon says:

There was one in an ash tree on Hwy 334 near Oxford, MS for about a month but it disappeared last week. Good to know what it was.

29. m.b. says:

There is one located on St.Rd. 446, Bloomington, IN.

30. Larry says:

I saw my first one this week in Woodstock, Maine. I’m not aware of any borers actually being here, but if the Maine Forest Service is hanging traps I’m guessing they think they’re here (or may be). Any insight to this regarding Maine would be appreciated.

31. tim stehlin says:

they have been gilboa n.y. for 2 years now

32. Jonnie says:

Seen a few on Hwy 6 in Tillamook Forest in Oregon

33. Fred S says:

There were at least 2 of the traps in the Skowhegan area 2 years ago. I have seen 5 or 6 emerald ash borers this past week at my house in Norridgewock.I caught one and will take it to the UM Extension Office tomorrow!

34. Bev Sig says:

Green Island, NY and Cohoes, NY

35. Cindy C. says:

How do I acquire a couple of the purple boxes for my Ash trees??

36. Norma Grant says:

WE have two ash trees that appear to have Emerald Ash Borer and are dying! How do I acquite a couple of purple boxes for my Ash trees????

37. Michael says:

They’re everywhere! They’re everywhere! LOL!
    Quarantined in NH. Moratorium by the Govenor.

38. Carol torchio says:

There are a few purple boxes on Yankee lake rd . In Sullivan county NY

39. lisa says:

I saw them in Meriden CT while checking out Brood 2 Cicadas. I am just now realizing I also saw Emerald Ash borers. Didn’t know what they were at the time and they are beautiful, so I snapped pics. Guess I should have stomped ‘em. I think they might even have been mating. Just checked my phone: yup. I have dirty pics of EAB’s on there. Catholic guilt in various flavors definitely setting in ; )

40. Shanekia says:

The best thing to do is to treat the trees before seeing any signs, preferably early spring. If you wait until fall it is possible that you can save the tree, but not likely.

41. Shanekia says:

Trees treated preventatively have the best chance of survival. If your tree is already infected it is possible to save it but start early!!! It will help!! The EAB is spreading and we need our trees to maintain our agricultural stability (if any)…..Start treating before it gets worse!!

42. sue says:

There is one in hamilton nd in the fairgrounds

43. adam says:

got 1 on michigan techs campus

44. Norma says:

Bill, do you not realize what an invasive species does to our natural resources? Not only do these beetles kill trees but they also get into houses and will infest a house with thousands of larvae. These beetles along with the Asian long-horned and the Mountain Pine Beetles. They are worse than cockroaches if they get into a neighborhood, going from house to house. That will cost more money than these projects.

45. Beth says:

To Bill or anyone who agrees with him. EAB kills Ash Trees period! Ash trees make up about 75% of the Minnesota canopy, and those numbers are the same for many states in our nation. yes bugs come and kill tress and new trees grow, but do you want your grandchildren to live with little to no trees while we hope the new ones can grow before these things attack them. We are supposed to be stewards of the earth. We brought the things in from Asia. –we need to control this!!! If our tree population is reduced by 75% or more what do you think that does to our air quality and ozone? You need to read more so you can make intelligent comments. Your the reason people find it easy to ignore our duty as stewards of our Earth so our children can climb a tree or sit under its shade. Should we just let mosquitos or tics with disease kill people because for 1000′s of years that has been going on? COME ON!!!!

46. Beth says:

If the trees die–we die!!!

47. Don says:

To Bill: non-native invasive species cost us billions of dollars per year. The emerald ash borer (EAB) is an introduced invasive forest pest that will kill nearly all ash trees in the genus Fraxinus. This insect is the closest thing to chestnut blight that wiped out the American chestnut from our forests. There are about 16 species of ash in North American and about 8 billion ash trees. The purple panel trap has a lure to attract the adult EAB so we can detect EAB in new areas. This insect is impacting our urban forests and will cost ecological impacts in our forests. The costs of doing nothing far exceed the cost of doing something. So, a knee jerk reaction exclaiming why are we spending money on these purple traps is something you shouldn’t do until you realize that we are trying to SAVE money by doing something. Would be glad to show you the numbers/costs so you as a taxpayer will learn that your (and mine) taxes are going to something important.

48. cathy feenstra says:

this weekend (5-35-14) I spotted two EABs at our house in Minerva NY. They sure are easy to spot!

49. Dawn says:

New Hampshire-I have seen them on Rt. 113 and just saw one on Rt.3. I believe I saw two adults mating in my flower garden. One even landed on me. 5-25-14

50. Bonnie Donnell says:

I seen one hanging from a tree on old liberty rd in liberty nc . My husband and I wondered what these were … Lol…