SNAP Payment Accuracy Best on Record

I began this year by discussing the SNAP Stewardship Solutions Project, our ongoing efforts to further improve Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) integrity.  Halfway through the year, we have made significant progress: we are requiring more frequent reviews of higher risk retailers, expanding the definition of fraud to crack down on newer methods of SNAP benefit abuse, and establishing data-sharing agreements to help catch recipients that attempt to commit SNAP fraud.

We are working hard to ensure the taxpayer investment in SNAP is spent wisely, and that those who are eligible for the program receive the correct amount of benefits—not too much, and not too little.

That is why I am pleased to announce that at 96.58 percent, the fiscal year 2012 SNAP payment accuracy rate—the combined measure of benefit overpayments and underpayments to recipients—was the highest in the history of the program.

Last year’s record-high payment accuracy rate reflects our ongoing investment of resources and technical assistance at the State level. We applaud our State partners for their efforts to improve program administration, while still maintaining access to this critical nutrition assistance program for families and young children.

This is a repeating pattern of success. Over the last nine years, the payment accuracy rate has been above 94 percent—originally considered a benchmark of success—and we are consistently improving each year.

But the bottom line is this: any waste or misuse of taxpayer dollars is too much. The American taxpayer has every right to expect, and we are striving to deliver, a program that is administered wisely so that SNAP benefits do what they are intended to do—provide healthy food to families.

For more information about what USDA is doing to combat fraud in SNAP, and how to personally help us in our efforts, please visit our Stop SNAP fraud web page.

9 Responses to “SNAP Payment Accuracy Best on Record”

1. Jamie Mack says:

Why haven’t half of North Carolina recieved their benefits? we are hungry and need food while you take our time trying to pick out the stores that we can and can’t use them at. You cant control everything. People need food and we needed it now!

2. Karen says:

But you have internet ? Could buy groceries with that money?

3. Sean says:

Hey Karen have you ever heard of free wifi. I turned my recertification in on July 10th and still haven’t received benefits. Only Excuses. North Carolinas gov. has cut unemployment benefits now he wants to starve people with the excuse “We switched to another computer program.” BS!!!

4. altgracia franco says:

IAM TO WAIT FOR YOUR RESPONT TO ME,MY CASE, I HAVE 2 MONTHS THAT NOT HAVE FOOD STAMP

5. Chad says:

I live in Cleveland County in North Carolina and I havent recieved my ebt benefits in two months and to be honest I getting really upset myself and for other ppl like myself that rely on these benefits. I’ve worked all my life until I got disabled and can’t work. They say my case is pending and it was a state wide glitch in the system but I know plenty of ppl that have there’s…so whats the problem??? I need answers and action on my case!!!!

6. Chad says:

Why havent me and alot of other ppl haven’t recieved there ebt benefits??? It makes no sense! We need answers and actions!

7. Nagaraj>N.Tekal says:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    My EBT is loaded on 21st of every month. Please ensure it is loaded at least now and let us not go hungry.
    Thank you and God Bless you. Not loaded this month

8. will says:

Does complaining about it help , no it dont, be patient the counties are doing there best to make sure your going hungry,while that fat cats in washington are sitting on there @ss making excuses. WE DONT NEED EXCUSE,the ppl need answers.ALDONA WOS needs to be fired ,bottom line.

9. Kenneth says:

State of Illinois 4 million rewarded for fraud !!

I know how the State of Illinois did so well having a 98.3 percent accuracy rate for its Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. Its just like when used to buy a bag of sugar that was 5 pounds now is 4 pounds for the same money. See most people on snap benefits don’t relies they are losing 10 days of snap benefits this year and 4 days last year that I know of Its all a paper shuffle and steeling from the poor. Then IL gets awarded a $4.1 million bonus for its effective administration of the Supplemental Food and Nutrition Program (SNAP). Illinois was recognized for its accuracy rate of 98.3 percent, which ranked sixth in the nation in fiscal year 2012. Now that’s some good saving money shuffle or theft where is that money .I hope you can help the good people of IL who need that food every month. Now that’s some good saving money shuffle or theft where is that money .I hope you can help the good people of IL who need that food every month.
    Today a received a letter that my availability date will change 7th day every mo. to the 10th day in March and in April it will be on the 13th day and then in May it will be on 17th day after May 17th I will receive my snap on the 17th day every mo. Now that’s a total of 10 day’s The last time they moved my day that I received my snap benefit’s I lost those days in benefit’s that was last yr. 2013 so I sat down and did the math this what I came up with 10 days for 2,000,000 people on snap benefit’s in IL. at a average of $133.00 per month is $4.30 per day that’s $44.00 per yr. $88,000,000 that lost in food snap benefits where is that money going up in smoke or some bodies pocket all I know is its not going where it was intended to be going the snap program. This is the cut that IL. is not telling nobody about those 10 days that they change the date’s when you receive you benefit’s on. So I called and ask about this they told me that what you receive a month is what you get they don’t go by days of the month that they are not that sophisticated . This in no way true if it is they are the only people who don’t run business by days of the month. So I did the math.
    $133.00 per mo. (average amount per person)
    divided by 30 = $4.43 per day
    X 10 day’s is $44.33 per yr.
    2,000,000 people
    X $44.33 per yr.
    _______________________
    = $86,600,000 per yr.

I have attached the letter and envelope that was mailed to me. I am not the only person every person I know of is having this happen to them. Now that’s a big cut from the poorest people in IL every dollar counts for me every mo. I bet it does for every body on food stamps .Thanks for reading this letter please let me know what you are going to do with this News
    I got my information and on numbers of people and how much money from 3 different web pages