The MyPlate Team welcomes you to Week 2 of our 5-week New Year’s Challenge! Last week we focused on the Dairy Food Group and physical activity. This week we’re adding another food group to the mix… fruit!
So, what foods are in the Fruit Group? This food group includes all fruits and 100% fruit juices. Focus on whole fruits—fresh, canned, frozen, or dried—more often for added dietary fiber. In addition to fiber, fruits contain many essential nutrients that are typically under consumed, including potassium, vitamin C, and folate (folic acid). Healthy ways to add fruit to your day:
- When choosing canned fruits, select fruit canned in 100% fruit juice or water rather than syrup.
- For a boost of vitamin C, add winter citrus fruits, like lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruits to recipes or enjoy on their own.
- Try main dishes that incorporate fruit, such as fish with pears or chicken salad with apple.
This week we want you to focus on Fruit by starting with small changes at breakfast. You don’t need to overall your entire meal, just think about small adjustments you can make to include more fruit. Some options include:
- Top cereal with bananas or raisins, or mix fruit into low-fat yogurt.
- Add frozen berries to pancakes or oatmeal.
- Whip up a batch of fruit smoothies and freeze in ice cube trays. During the week, pop out the cubes for a quick on-the-go breakfast.
Check out our newest #MyPlateMyWins video for ideas to help you make other small changes at breakfast:
If you cannot view the above video, please visit this link: https://youtu.be/cKeuCuBQjcU
Visit our MyPlate Tip Sheets for more healthy eating tips or share your own tips and real solutions using #MyPlateMyWins. Don’t forget to follow MyPlate on Facebook and Twitter, join or use SuperTracker, and sign up for email updates.